Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 -- go away

It must be another major national holiday approaching. All the TV news have got their second stringers on the job. The first stringers are all at home getting ready for next week's return. They are all boning up on their favorite, unfunny TV newscaster cliches. Maybe I am paying too much attention to all this? It has been a consistent time killer for me these past 10 months.

So here we go with another new year and of course it is being accompanied by bad weather. It's the daily double for those TV folks. We are supposed to get some rain and maybe 3 inches of snow or at least they keep telling us every 6 minutes. New Years has always been associated with crappy, cold weather for me. We never do much for this event because the whole world seems to be out and about. Plus there's something about watching the crowd in Times Square. I always think the same thing "I am damn happy NOT to be there"..I don't think I even know anybody who has ever participated in that and I've lived in NY most of my life..It's always the same types.
The young energetic drinkers and the tourists from Ohio wearing statue of liberty foam crowns. Those 2010 glasses must look pretty cool! The universal question is always - where do they go to the bathroom after waiting for 7 hours??

Yesterday they shut down Times Square for a while because there was a suspicious white van parked on Broadway. That meant NO traffic allowed on those streets and the occupants of local buildings had to (dig this) move to one side of their floor and stand until all was clear (which took hours).. BOY, do I miss the city. So they discovered that this van belonged to a food vendor. Luckily it didn't have any exploding knishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment