Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Sting - well, almost

Not sure what happened to summer. We had an abbreviated version - 9 or so days in a row where we needed to run AC but mostly we had mild days and lots of rain. Who cares? Maybe Al Roker, I dunno. I was reminded today that this time of year is when my late mother used to like to visit and enjoy the cool breezes of September. This was after coping with the intense Florida heat for 6 or more months. I can't see how people function down there in summer. I was stationed in Florida in 1971 and experienced the white sands of Pensacola which meshed so nicely with my freckled skin. I don't think sunscreen was invented yet.

This is good deck weather. Perfect for time killing and reading. I know I need to read more and the deck provides the perfect light. I seem to need more help seeing and this helps. I even have reading glasses now which I've avoided since getting my first pair of regular glasses as a 12-year-old.

During the summer months the insects (mainly wasps) were all over the place. I killed a bunch but still as I settled into my deck chair I tried bravely to ignore the kamikaze-like attacks of these yellow jackets. If you ignore them they will ignore you. I remember somebody's mother telling me that when I was a kid. There is some truth to that I guess but still I've been stung a few times.

So today I was out there killing time and reading with total confidence that the yellow jackets checked their calendars to see it was now September and they should be building their winter nests or dying. Whichever they do best. I felt confident turning pages, feeling the cool breezes and watching the leaves just start to turn - it was very pastoral and relaxing. I reached for my small cup of OJ I had on the table and took a sip. The glass was about half full and as I took my sip I felt a tickle on my lip.. oy veyyyyyy.. Want to see a relaxed man act like a lunatic? Damn wasp was helping himself to some Tropicana and I flung the cup and almost fell out of my chair. He did NOT sting. He (I guess it was a he) had no chance as I spasmodically swung my arms and retreated into the house - safe and sound.. BUT the joke is on that damn bug - the OJ was mixed with MiraLax - a fiber powder laxative. Let's see him leave the hive tomorrow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment